Medicaid CHAMPS enrollment requirement effective Jan. 1, 2019
As of Jan. 1, 2019, all providers furnishing services to Michigan Medicaid beneficiaries, including providers participating in a managed care organization's provider network, are required to be screened and obtain active enrollment in the Michigan Medicaid program. The purpose of this requirement is to strengthen the Medicaid program integrity by preventing provider fraud.
- Effective for dates of service on and after Jan. 1, 2019, MDHHS will prohibit Medicaid Health Plans and Dental plans from making payments to all typical rendering, referring, ordering, operating, billing, supervising, and attending providers who are not enrolled in CHAMPS.
- Effective for dates of service on and after July 1, 2019, MDHHS Fee-for-Service and Medicaid Health Plans will prohibit payment for prescription drug claims written by any prescribers who are not enrolled in CHAMPS.
Enrollment is completed through Community Health Automated Medicaid Processing System (CHAMPS) the state's web-based Medicaid enrollment and billing system. MDHHS has already notified all providers via bulletin
Enrollment in CHAMPS neither requires nor mandates providers who are part of a managed care network to accept Fee-for-Service Medicaid beneficiaries. Enrollment in CHAMPS is solely used for the purpose of screening providers participating in Medicaid.
Helpful state and CHAMPS resources
- Provider press release
- MILogin and CHAMPS log in and registration guide:
- CHAMPS training sessions – all
MILogin (single sign-on) and CHAMPS log-in and registration instructions
- Go to https://milogintp.michigan.gov/
- Log in to MILogin if you already have an account.
- Click "Create a new account" if you need to set up a MILogin account. During the registration process, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services will send an initial password to you via email. Use this password to complete setting up your account.
- Select the CHAMPS application to open.