- Priority Health launches a new mobile app and online member account to offer members an easier way to access and manage their health plan. Members can view their personalized information, find the doctors they need, keep track of spending and access tools to help save money on the cost of care.
- Priority Health announces a dramatic decrease in opioid use among members, a positive step forward in the ongoing opioid epidemic. After one full year of data, member use of opioids significantly declined, specifically: Commercial members: 47% reduction, Medicaid members: 36% reduction, Medicare members: 18% reduction.
- Priority Health reduces individual insurance premiums—the only health plan in Michigan to decrease pricing of its individual plans on the Affordable Care Act marketplace two years in a row. For the second consecutive year, Priority Health is nationally recognized for Medicare plan quality. Priority Health HMO-POS Medicare Advantage plans remain the only plans in Michigan to earn 4.5 Stars (out of 5) from the National Committee of Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- Priority Health is one of 15 health insurers recognized as having one of the best Medicare Advantage plan websites in the nation, based on research from HealthMetrix Research Inc.
- Priority Health launches a partnership with Papa—offering in-home companion care for Medicare members.
- Priority Health is considered one of the best Medicaid health plans in the state, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA’s) Medicaid Health Insurance Plan Rankings.
- Priority Health’s Medicaid Care Management team is awarded the Michigan Association of Health Plans (MAHP) 2019 Pinnacle Award in the Community Outreach category for their Medically Complex Children Information Sharing Events project.
- Priority Health launches a new Dual Eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP) beginning January 1, 2020—the only health plan to offer a D-SNP throughout Michigan’s entire lower peninsula.
- Priority Health acquires CAM Administrative Services, Inc. (CAMADS), a Third Party Administrator (TPA) for health benefits based in Southeast Michigan.
- Priority Health helps fight childhood obesity by supporting FitKids360’s “On the Move” program for two years in a row, donating over 60 pairs of new athletic shoes to children participating in 5K races.
- Priority Health awards Quality Awards to 235 physicians and physician offices for improving health care outcomes for patients throughout Michigan that achieve the highest overall scores in preventive care and chronic disease measures through the Priority Health Primary Care Provider Incentive Program.
- Christopher Crook, chief information officer for Priority Health, earns certification as a CHIME Certified Healthcare CIO—the only certification designed exclusively for leaders in health information technology, representing one of the highest professional achievements in the industry.
- Christina Barrington, Pharm D., vice president of Pharmacy programs at Priority Health, is recognized for her contributions to the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP) and AMCP Foundation at the 2019 Annual Meeting in San Diego, California. Barrington received the Individual Contribution Award for her instrumental work in the 2009 start-up of the Midwest AMCP chapter.
- Priority Health announces a new agreement with Cigna Payer Solutions enabling members who live, work or travel out-of-state to access Cigna's PPO network* of nearly one million health care providers nationwide** for services provided outside the state of Michigan.
- Priority Health launches a new cost-saving solution—a tiered network plan available to Southeast Michigan employers called, Southeast MI Partners – offering up to 11% savings in monthly premium costs ideal for companies with employees largely residing in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, Washtenaw and St. Clair counties.
- Priority Health announces an average 2.5% decrease in pricing for individual plans on the Affordable Care Act marketplace, defying national trends of 2019 rate increases.
- Priority Health HMO-POS Medicare Advantage plans are the only plans in Michigan to earn 4.5 Stars (out of 5) from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Priority Health HMO-POS plans are also the only plan in Michigan to earn a rating of 4.5 (out of 5) from the National Committee of Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- PriorityWellTM is launched to offer solutions to support all aspects of wellbeing such as social, financial, environmental and emotional health—allowing employers to support their employees and improve engagement, satisfaction and productivity—ultimately resulting in improved talent retention and a healthier workforce.
- Priority Health adds real time cost information for prescription drugs for Medicare Advantage members to Cost Estimator, helping members pay less by giving them options to switch to a lower priced alternative, a preferred pharmacy or mail order.
- Priority Health launches Employer Insights—a web-based employer reporting tool provides employers with an interactive dashboard interface that allows them to create comprehensive, custom reports to analyze the health of their workforce and the impact of health care on their bottom line.
- Through a partnership with Omada Health, Priority Health announces clinically-eligible members will have access to Omada, the country’s leading digital Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) to help manage their diabetes. Priority Health is the first health plan in Michigan to add the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) fully recognized digital Diabetes Prevention Program as a preventive benefit.
- Priority Health reaches an agreement with MSU HealthTeam, enabling members with HMO, PPO, POS and Medicare coverage to seek health care services with the more than 225 providers affiliated with the medical practice—one of the largest physician groups in the greater Lansing area.
- Nearly 200 high-performing physicians and practices across Priority Health’s provider network receive Quality Awards for improving health care outcomes in Michigan by achieving the highest overall scores in preventive care and chronic disease measures through the Priority Health Primary Care Provider Incentive Program.
- Joan Budden, president and CEO of Priority Health, is named as a 2018 Crain’s Detroit Business Notable Women in Health Care based on career accomplishments, involvement in nonprofits and community organizations and mentoring others.
*Cigna’s PPO network refers to the health care professionals (doctors, hospitals, specialists) contracted as part of the Cigna PPO for Shared Administration.
**940,000 health care providers and 6,300 hospitals. Cigna analysis of actual number of doctors in the PPO Network as of November 1, 2017. Data is subject to change.
- The Wellbeing Hub pilot program is launched, providing members with a personalized, curated health experience.
- Priority Health is awarded three Pinnacle Awards for Best Practices by the Michigan Association of Health Plans for the following programs: CenteringPregnancy®, Customized Model of Care and Hybrid Care Management.
- Priority Health’s Michigan Medicaid program, Priority Health Choice, is the only Michigan-based health plan to receive the Financial Strength Rating of "A" (Excellent) from A.M. Best, the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source.
- Priority Health receives the Customer Experience Visionary Award, North America at Vision Critical’s Annual Visionary Awards for our use of community feedback to develop products and programs that improve communications and engage people in their health care.
- The Priority Health Diabetes Prevention Initiative is honored by The National Kidney Foundation of Michigan as part of their Innovations in Health Care Awards for innovative programs related to preventing and managing chronic health conditions.
- A 5-year study finds the HealthbyChoice® plan improves health and lowers the cost of care. The study shows HealthbyChoice members saved employers up to $60 per employee per month in claims cost.
- Priority Health Choice earns the highest ranking in all five categories for the 2016 Medicaid Health Plan Consumer Guide.
- A $3 million expansion of Medication Therapy Management program is announced.
- Joan Budden accepts the position as the new president and CEO.
- CEO Michael P. Freed announces plans to retire in early 2016.
- Three programs are selected for the 2015 Michigan Association of Health Plans (MAHP): Chronic Disease Management, Diabetes Prevention Program and Business Operational Performance.
- The Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) recommends the Priority Health HMO plan to continue serving as the essential health benefits benchmark for the state starting in 2017. Priority Health is the only health plan to earn this distinction.
- Launch of the Cost Estimator, a price transparency tool that shares the true cost of health care. The member-only tool calculates cost information for health procedures based on the members’ specific health plan.
- PriorityRewards is introduced. The program combines the power of the Cost Estimator with financial incentives for members who use the tool.
- Priority Health becomes the first health insurance company in the nation to cover genomic profiling.
- Priority Health opens the new Southfield, Michigan office.
- Priority Health begins offering members the option for virtual visits, which allows patients to speak with board-certified doctors who are available 24/7 online and over the phone.
- Priority Health becomes the only health plan in Michigan to earn wellness accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- Priority Health adds 10 counties to its Medicare service area: Alcona, Alpena, Berrien, Huron, Iosco, Lapeer, Oscoda, Montmorency, Presque Isle and Van Buren. Priority Health now serves Michigan's entire Lower Peninsula.
- Three new information centers open in Southfield, Holland and Grand Rapids, creating conveniently located resources for the uninsured and others needing to purchase insurance coverage.
- In partnership with Healthcare Bluebook, Priority Health becomes the first Michigan-based health plan to offer members a comparison shopping tool. Members can now review prices on more than 300 of the most-used non-emergency health care services, and can compare quality ratings and read consumer reviews of doctors and hospitals.
- The University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) joins Priority Health as a participating provider to serve our HMO, PPO, POS and Medicare plan members.
- Seven counties are added to the Priority Health Medicare service area: Arenac, Calhoun, Cheboygan, Clinton, Eaton, Genesee and Ogemaw. Priority Health now serves 58 counties across Michigan.
- The Priority Health HMO is recognized as Michigan's essential health benefits benchmark—making the plan a framework for all individual and small group plans to follow.
- Priority Health again earns an Excellent accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance, the highest level a health plan can earn, for its Commercial HMO/POS, Medicaid, Medicare PPO and Medicare HMO/POS plans.
- Michael P. Freed, chief financial officer of Spectrum Health, is appointed president of Priority Health.
- Priority Health celebrates 25 years in business.
- The Michigan Association of Health Plans honors Priority Health with five Pinnacle Awards for the following: Find a Doctor online tool, Telemonitoring for Heart Failure Members, Fit Kids 360 and Genetics Counseling, Testing and Screening. Earning an honorable mention was the company's wellness partnership with Spectrum Health.
- The Women's Resource Center honors Priority Health with a 2011 Pillar Award. The honor recognizes employers who empower women at work.
- Priority Health ranks among the top health plans in Michigan in member satisfaction according to a JD Power & Associates study.
- Priority Health earns a Wellness & Health Promotion Accreditation by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. Priority Health is one of only 20 organizations in the nation and the only Michigan-based organization to earn this distinction.
- The launch of MyPriority® ensures all consumers have access to affordable health care by offering four packages and 14 different customizable options to individuals and families.
- New enhanced Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance) plans are offered to Michigan residents. These plans offer better hospice benefits and lower premiums and are designed to fill the gaps in medical expenses not covered by Original Medicare Part A and Part B.
- Medicaid services offered by Priority Health expand into Jackson, Hillsdale, Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties following approval from the State of Michigan's Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation.
- In a health insurance plan study of customer satisfaction by JD Power & Associates, Priority Health scores above the national average and is ranked number two in Michigan.
- Priority Health’s PriorityHMO and PriorityPPO expand into Huron and Sanilac counties.
- The National Committee on Quality Assurance awards both Priority Health’s Commercial HMO and Medicaid HMO plans with an Excellent rating. The NCQA also ranks Priority Health’s HMO, POS and PPO plans in the top 10 percent of quality health plans nationwide, and recognizes the Medicaid plans as 14th in the nation.
- Our three Medicare Advantage plans earn a 5-star rating from the national Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for the second year in a row.
- Bronson Healthcare Group, based in Kalamazoo, Mich., joins the Priority Health provider network in August.
- Priority Health expands into Oscoda, Ogemaw and Iosco counties.
- Our three PriorityMedicareSM Medicare Advantage plans are the only Medicare plans in Michigan to earn a 5-star ranking from the federal Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- US News & World Report magazine lists Priority Health's HMO/POS/PPO health plans and Medicaid plan among the nation's best.
- Our HMO plan is ranked 11th in the nation by the National Committee for Quality Assurance, as reported in U.S. News & World Report.
- Priority Health’s asthma management program is awarded a National Exemplary Award from the Environmental Protection Agency and a Pinnacle Award from the Michigan Association of Health Plans.
- The Michigan Association of Health Plans honors Priority Health's online Common Costs tool with their statewide Pinnacle awards.
- Priority Health launches HealthbyChoice® Incentives, a new consumer-engaged health plan with two levels of benefits linked to wellness criteria.
- Foote Health System of Jackson, Michigan announces its decision to transition services to Priority Health.
- Priority Health purchases Care Choices in Eastern Michigan, adding120,000 new members, 40 hospitals and 7,300 physicians to its service.
- Our Medicare service area expands to 11 northwest Michigan counties.
- The Common Costs tool and new approved drug search tool are launched, helping consumers learn more about the actual costs of drugs and medical care.
- U.S. News & World Report, collaborating with the National Committee for Quality Assurance, ranks Priority Health 13th in the nation.
- The National Business Coalition on Health rates Priority Health number one in Michigan and second in the nation.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance awards Priority Health's commercial and Medicaid products an Excellent accreditation.
- The National Business Coalition on Health, the country's leading evaluator of health plan performance, rates Priority Health number one in the nation.
- Priority Health expands into Cheboygan and Saginaw.
- The HealthbyChoice® program receives a Pinnacle Award from the Michigan Association of Health Plans as the best Community Outreach/Partnership program in Michigan.
- Priority Health's newsletter for members, Health Journal, wins a Merit Award at the 22nd Annual Healthcare Marketing Advertising Awards.
- Priority Health is the first in West Michigan to offer a Medicare Advantage plan with prescription coverage. PriorityMedicare offers Medicare-eligible individuals both in-network and out-of-network benefits.
- Priority Health launches new consumer-driven health care plans: PriorityHSASM and PriorityHRA.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance names Priority Health's Medicaid plan one of the top 10 in the nation in quality of care.
- Kim Horn, president and CEO, receives the 2004 Ellis J. Bonner Outstanding Achievement Award from the Michigan Association of Health Plans. It recognizes individuals who have made a significant impact on health care in Michigan and demonstrate exemplary service and leadership.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance ranks Priority Health as one of the nation's top 10 health plans in consumer satisfaction. Priority Health is the only Michigan health plan to receive this recognition.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance awards Priority Health's commercial and Medicaid products with an Excellent accreditation.
- Priority Health is recognized as one of West Michigan's 101 Best & Brightest Companies.
- The Michigan Association of Health Plans names Priority Health's Asthma Disease Management Program as the Best Community Partnership and Outreach Program in Michigan.
- The National Business Coalition on Health announces that Priority Health has earned its Innovation Award for Improving Member Compliance and Disease Management.
- Health Journal, Priority Health's quarterly member magazine, receives a Bronze Award from the National Health Information Awards.
- The Michigan Association of Health Plans awards top honors to Priority Health for its Tobacco Cessation and Prevention Program, plus a bronze award for its efforts to reduce member complaints about claims payment.
- The Women's Resource Center awards Priority Health with the Women in the Workplace Award for Advancing Women in Leadership.
- Priority Health expands its Muskegon market in partnership with Physicians Health Plan of Muskegon. Priority Health now serves more than 6,000 employers and 315,444 members; its network comprises 2,271 doctors and 27 hospitals.
- The Health Information and Action Group awards Priority Health five Best-In-Class awards in the following areas: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Care Management, Patient Safety, Clinical Guidelines and Consumer Bill of Rights and Responsibilities and Disease Management.
- Priority Health adds Northern Michigan to its service area by merging with NorthMed HMO in Traverse City.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance awards Priority Health's HMO product with an Excellent accreditation.
- Priority Health receives the only A+ rating among Michigan health plans from the Detroit Free Press.
- U.S News and World Report names America's Top 40 HMOs; Priority Health is the only Michigan plan to make the list.
- MEDSTAT and J.D. Power and Associates report Priority Health as #1 in the Grand Rapids/ Muskegon area.
- Priority Health enrolls the first MiChild member in its new MiChild HMO product.
- Priority Health is licensed by the State of Michigan to operate a Medicaid HMO product.
- Priority Health is named Quality Leader #1 by the National Research Corporation.
- Priority Health earns full accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- Priority Health earns one-year accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
- Priority Health is formed by the merger of Butterworth HMO and Lakeshore HMO.
- Butterworth HMO opens, covering three employer groups and 1,261 members with 187 doctors and one hospital.
- Lakeshore HMO is founded by Holland Hospital.