Beware of phone scams
Telephone scams are becoming more common. They often target insured members to steal your identity or to fraudulently bill or purchase goods. Beware of calls from people offering free services or asking for your Medicaid contract ID number. Other scams involve callers pretending to be IRS officials saying you owe money or that you are entitled to a refund. These callers may attempt to get personal information from you such as your Social Security number, Medicaid ID number and bank account numbers.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Be sure to ask for identifying information from the caller (full name, phone number) before you talk to them. When in doubt, end the call and use the call-back number to test if the call is legitimate.
- Do not rely on your caller ID. Scammers spoof the IRS toll-free number or other government agency toll-free numbers on caller ID to make it appear that it's a legitimate call.
- If the caller is from a medical office you do not use, do not be afraid to end the call.
- NEVER give out personal financial information or Social Security numbers over the telephone.
- NEVER give out Medicaid information, like your ID number, over the telephone unless you know the person calling.
- Watch out for smart phone scams. For example, a scam texter will fake a problem with one of your financial account and ask you for data. If you respond by texting back confidential personal information, your identity may be stolen.
- Be stingy with your phone number. Only share it with people who have a legitimate reason to call you.
Let us know right away
For phone scam concerns or other possible fraud or abuse concerns, contact us right away. You do not have to give your name. You may remain anonymous. Your report will be kept confidential to the extent allowed by law. Report your concerns in any one of these ways:
- Call Customer Service at 888.975.8102 (Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
- Call the 24-hour Compliance Hotline at 800.560.7013
- Download and complete the Fraud, Waste & Abuse Report form and submit by mail, fax or email.