Special Enrollment and short-term coverage

Life has a way of taking you by surprise. If you find yourself needing to sign up for insurance outside of the open enrollment period (OEP), there are a few ways to get the coverage you need.

The Affordable Care Act allows you and your family members to enroll in a new plan or make changes to your current coverage outside of OEP through a special enrollment period (SEP).

Have you recently had a baby? Got married? Lost coverage at work? Qualifying life events are vast and varied. And whether or not they're expected, if you've experienced a qualifying life event you may be eligible to purchase health insurance through a special enrollment period.

Learn more about SEPs.

What if you haven't experienced a qualifying life event, but still need coverage?

If you need individual or family health insurance outside of OEP and haven't had a qualifying life event, short-term health insurance is often your best option for coverage until the next OEP. A short-term health insurance plan offers temporary coverage at a lower monthly premium without the extra features of an extended plan. This type of health insurance plan could make sense for someone who is coming off of their parents' health plan, between jobs or headed to college.

Learn more about MyPriority short-term plans.

If you need to make changes to your health plan, please call the number on the back of your membership ID card.

Back   Next