Providing peace of mind with a second medical opinion
We’ve partnered with 2nd.MD to provide you with greater peace of mind when making health care decisions. Your health plan offers access to a second medical opinion for certain procedures or surgeries through 2nd.MD as a standard beneﬁt at no additional cost.* 2nd.MD is a nationwide service offering a third-party specialist review of treatment for qualifying diagnoses and procedures.
Whether you’re looking for reassurance about an upcoming treatment or alternatives to a current care plan, 2nd.MD is available to help with a second medical opinion from a leading specialist, ready in days rather than weeks.
2nd.MD is a nationwide service offering a third-party specialist review of treatment for qualifying diagnoses and procedures. 2nd.MD providers will partner with you to review upcoming treatment plans and then coordinate scheduling a virtual consultation
How does it work?
- If you are eligible to participate, 2nd.MD will contact you directly.
- If you decide to receive a second medical opinion, 2nd.MD will ﬁrst request your approval to release your medical records, then reach out to your doctor to obtain the necessary medical records.
- A 2nd.MD specialist will be recommended, and a virtual consultation will be scheduled. Virtual consultations last 30+ minutes.
- After the consultation, you will receive a written summary and post-consultation follow-up support
Frequently Asked Questions
Second medical opinions are available for multiple procedures and surgeries, including:
- Ankle/foot fusion
- Hernia repair
- Hip replacement
- Shoulder replacement
- And more
You would use 2nd.MD when you want to learn more about your treatment options or verify a current treatment plan. 2nd.MD’s nationwide network of specialists can help you:
• Ensure you are on the right path to better health outcomes.
• Learn about alternative treatment options.
• Consider options that may be a better fit for your lifestyle.
• Gain peace of mind for you and your loved ones.
• Receive a second medical opinion in days versus weeks.
Access to 2nd.MD is available on plans at no additional cost. You are still responsible for costs associated with the recommended treatment based on your plan.
You are eligible for a second opinion if you have received a new, eligible diagnosis or are scheduled for an eligible procedure or surgery. If you qualify for a second medical opinion, 2nd.MD will reach out directly. You may also be referred to 2nd.MD by a Priority Health care manager.
No. 2nd.MD will contact you if you’re eligible to explain the benefit, but it is your choice whether to get a second medical opinion.
2nd.MD works on your behalf to obtain any necessary medical information and coordinate the consultation. When 2nd.MD reaches out to you; they will request your approval for your doctor to release your medical records and will ensure the consulting doctor will have access to them for your consultation.
You will receive a written document with the 2nd.MD consult summary that can be shared with your original doctor. A peer-to-peer consult between the two doctors is available upon request.
Call the number on the back of your member ID card.
To activate your account visit get.2nd.MD/priorityhealth or call 866.518.1780
* 2nd.MD is a standard benefit for all fully funded groups and is available at no additional cost to employers or members. Qualification is determined by new, eligible diagnoses, scheduled procedures, or surgeries. If you qualify for a second medical opinion, 2nd.MD will reach out to you directly. Based on your plan documents, you will still be responsible for costs associated with the recommended treatment.