Why should I look for a Medicare 5-star rating?
Medicare Star Ratings shine the light on quality. The ratings indicate how well a health plan performs overall; the better the Star Rating, the better the care is delivered. When comparing plans, you should consider star power, as well as costs and coverage.
How health plans are rated
A health plan's Star Rating is adjusted each year based on how well it performs on a total of 50 measures in five categories:
- Helping members stay healthy: screenings, tests and vaccines
- Managing chronic (long-term) conditions
- Plan responsiveness and care
- Member complaints, problems getting services and number of members who leave the plan
- Customer service
Drug plans are rated on numbers four and five in the list above, as well as member experience with the drug plan and drug pricing and patient safety.
Five stars for quality
Star Ratings are available each fall. A plan can get ratings between one and five stars, as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Aim for the stars with Priority Health
Our HMO-POS plans were awarded 4.5 stars (out of 5) by CMS in their 2024 Medicare plan ratings.
- PriorityMedicare KeySM (HMO-POS)
- PriorityMedicareSM (HMO-POS)
- PriorityMedicare ONESM (HMO-POS)
- PriorityMedicare ValueSM (HMO-POS)
And, our PPO plans were awarded 4.5 stars (out of 5) by CMS.
- PriorityMedicare CompassSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare EdgeSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare IdealSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare MeritSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare SelectSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare ThriveSM (PPO)
- PriorityMedicare VitalSM (PPO)
Pick a plan that shines
You can switch to a Medicare plan that has an overall 5-star rating at any time once during each year. So, if you're unhappy with the plan you choose and a 5-star Medicare plan is offered in your area, it may be a better option for you.
Medicare Advantage & Medigap plans
- What is Medicare Part A?
- What is Medicare Part B?
- What is Medicare Part C?
- What is Medicare Part D?
- Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plans
- Apply for Medicare
- If you have other health coverage
- Medicare Part D coverage gap
- HMO-POS vs. PPO facts
- Medicare Advantage plan healthy extras
- Medicare 5-star ratings