We require prior authorization for certain services and procedures. In these cases, providers will submit clinical documentation and medical records demonstrating that the service or procedure is medically necessary.
How to request an authorization
Submit authorizations through our Auth Request tool. Turnaround times vary by plan requirements, but in all cases are 14 days or less.
Out-of-network providers: see how to submit authorizations below.
- Solid organ transplant authorization form
- Bone marrow/stem cell transplant authorization form
- NICU/sick newborn authorization form
Our Auth Request tool has two portals, GuidingCare and eviCore.
Here is what you can use each portal for.
Services not included in the Auth Request tool
- Drug authorizations not related to an inpatient stay or home infusions - use the drug authorization request forms
- Medicare pre-service organization determinations. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) rules require that all Part C (Medicare Advantage) plans - not providers - give a specific written notice to members if a service or item isn't covered. The process for getting this written notice of non-coverage from Priority Health is called requesting a pre-service organization determination (PSOD). Go to PSOD instructions.
- Services not covered by our plans
Out-of-network providers: Use these forms to request prior authorization for medical services. Always use a specific service form when available. Turnaround times vary by plan requirements, but in all cases are 14 days or less.
Hospital and other facility forms
- Emergent inpatient authorization form A request is considered emergent if delaying treatment would put the patient's life in serious danger, interfere with full recovery or delay treatment for severe pain. Do not use this form for elective/planned inpatient admissions, instead use the Medical Authorization Form. If we determine your request does not meet the definition of an emergent authorization it will be processed according to standard timelines.
All emergent cases are reviewed in 72 hrs or less.
- NICU/Sick newborn prior authorization form
- Acute Rehab/LTACH/SNF/SAR prior authorization/review form
Use this form for all post-acute facility requests.
- Bone marrow/peripheral stem cell or other blood cell transplant
- Solid organ transplant
Behavioral health authorization forms
- General behavioral health authorization form - Use this form for: psychiatric inpatient, outpatient psychotherapy (mental health and substance abuse), detoxification, residential treatment and other behavioral health services.
- Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy authorization request form
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for depression authorization request
Home health care services forms
- Home health care services prior authorization form
- Home health care IV infusion services prior authorization form
Other medical authorization forms
- Billing & payment
- Procedures & services
- Reviews & appeals
- Medical policies
- Provider forms
- Seeing Cigna members
- Requirements & responsibilities
- Clinical resources
- Fraud, waste & abuse policy
- Request an online account
- Join our networks
- Check patient eligibility
- Data exchange
- Plans & benefits
- Set up electronic claims
- Set up electronic funds transfer (EFT)
- Check claim status