Credentialing application process
Before you begin
You must complete the following steps before our credentialing process can begin.
- Review our credentialing criteria by provider type to determine if you need to be credentialed. If we require credentialing for your provider type, complete steps 2-3.
- You must be registered with the Council for Affordable Healthcare (CAQH) to start the credentialing process.
If you aren't registered yet:
Or, call them at 888.599.1771 to register.
- Contact our Provider Contracting department to make sure we have a contract on file, either for your group or for yourself, prepared and waiting for your credentialing to be confirmed
Next, complete our automated credentialing process in prism
We use an automated submission process for our credentialing forms.
- Complete the online credentialing application at the CAQH website
- Log into prism or create a prism account
- Select Enrollments & Requests from the main menu, then choose the appropriate option between New Individual Provider Enrollment and New Organizational Provider Enrollment. There you'll need to attach an IRS W-9 form.
- We'll send you a confirmation comment in prism with next steps as well as any requests for additional/missing information.
Our processing timeline & how to status your request
When we receive your complete credentialing information, it'll take us up to 62 calendar days to process your request. This doesn't include additional time for contracting.
How we communicate with you
After a request is submitted in prism, you'll receive an email confirmation with an inquiry number. You'll use prism to see the status of your enrollment by clicking on "Enrollments & Requests" and then the inquiry number.
*Note: the contracting processing time isn't within our workflow processing timeframe above.
Once your request is complete, you'll receive a final communication from us in prism that includes your network effective date. You can begin billing for dates of service on the network effective date. Claims submitted before the network effective date may result in incorrect payment or denial.
If your request has gone over our processing time frames, email us at Exceedsprocessingtime@priorityhealth.com. Be sure to include your inquiry number.
Throughout our credentialing and enrollment process, you're responsible for:
- Responding to requests for information made by our credentialing staff, the Credentialing Committee, Quality Integration Committee or Board of Directors; and
- Keeping us informed of any changes in your status relative to the criteria.
For example, you should notify the Committee regarding any:
- Judgment, settlement, or compromise in a professional liability action;
- Action limiting or suspending your license to practice a profession, or your authority to prescribe medication;
- Exclusion from the Medicare or Medicaid programs;
- Cancellation of professional liability coverage; or
- Loss or significant curtailment of clinical privileges at a licensed hospital.
Our reviewWe review your application and supporting documents for completeness and verify your information. As detailed above, this process takes 62 calendar days.
Your application is complete when we've received, verified and/or completed the following:
- Completed application and signed attestation and release, including copies of professional liability insurance (minimum limits of $100,000/ $300,000)
- Professional liability claims history, verified directly with the National Practitioner Data Bank
- Applicable state and controlled substance licenses, verified through the state departments of licensing
- Federal DEA license verified
- Graduation from medical school, verified directly with the medical school or by the American Board of Medical Specialists (ABMS) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA) listings
- Residency and fellowship (if applicable) verified directly with the training program or by the ABMS or AOA listings
- Board certification, verified with the ABMS, AOA, American Board of Podiatric Surgery, American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine, American Board of Oral Surgery, American Board of Sleep Medicine, or American Board of Addiction Medicine listings (see individual criteria for exceptions)
- Current and previous hospital memberships, verified by mail, fax and/ or phone
- CHAMPS enrollment verified, Medicaid only
- Medicare Opt-out Report
- National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB), queried online to verify any disciplinary actions, malpractice payments and Medicare/ Medicaid sanctions
- MDCH - Medical Services Administration Sanctioned Providers
- Office of Inspector General Sanctioned Provider Exclusion Database
- System for Award Management (SAM)
- Letters of recommendation, if requested, from physicians who are familiar with your clinical skills and who aren't employed with or partners of your prospective physician group
Approval & denial
The Credentialing Committee approves or denies your application.
You have the right to review certain information submitted in support of your application and to amend erroneous information submitted by another party. These rights are fully described in the Priority Health Practitioner Rights Policy.
Contracting, locum tenens contacts
Priority Health Contracting
1231 East Beltline NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Credentialing, enrollment contacts
Priority Health Provider Enrollment & Life Cycle
1231 East Beltline NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Your information in Find a Doctor
We depend on the accuracy of the information in your CAQH online application to populate our online provider directory, Find a Doctor. Please:
- Review your CAQH application carefully
- Review your listing in Find a Doctor regularly
- Share with us when your phone, address, hospital affiliation, web address or locations change. You can do this in prism, under the Enrollments & Requests menu item