Enrolling in the MPSERS Medicare plan
Learn how to enroll and how to know if you're eligible for Medicare.
How to enroll
All new enrollment or plan changes must be completed online using miAccount on the Office of Retirement Services (ORS) website.
Have questions specific to enrollment?
- Visit the ORS website to learn more about enrollment
- Contact the ORS at 517.322.5103 in the Lansing area or toll-free at 800.381.5111.
What to expect when you enroll
- Your Priority Health coverage begins the first of the NEXT full month after you submit your enrollment request to the retirement system.
Example: If you submit your enrollment request mid-May, coverage begins July 1.
- The retirement system will make the enrollment changes in their system, and the forward your enrollment request to Priority Health so that we can get you signed up. Once your enrollment is processed, Priority Health will mail new membership ID cards and member materials to your home.
- You can enroll at any time during the year.
- Per retirement system rules, you must stay in an insurance plan for at least six (6) months before switching.
- Your dental coverage and vision coverage will not change if you enroll in Priority Health or switch medical coverage.
- Your monthly premium deduction from your pension is the same whether you choose Priority Health or Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Eligibility & enrollment
You become eligible for Medicare when you turn 65 or become permanently disabled.
Here's what to expect in the months leading up to when you turn 65:
- A few months before your birthday, you need to contact Social Security to elect Parts A and B coverage.
- You'll receive your red, white & blue card with your Medicare claim number. Keep this card in a safe place.
- We'll call or send you a letter in the mail asking for your Medicare information for enrollment in our plan. Watch for this letter! If we don't receive this information from you before the first of the month in which you turn 65, we won't be able to enroll you in the Medicare plan and you may lose your coverage.
- If you have not been contacted to enroll in the Medicare plan, call us at 888.389.6648, option 3.
Here's what to expect if you become disabled:
- If you become eligible for Medicare before age 65 due to disability, contact Priority Health as soon as possible to provide us with your Medicare information.
If you're eligible for Medicare, but your spouse or children are not, don't worry. We can still cover everyone on your plan. We'll enroll you in a Priority Health Medicare Advantage plan. We'll enroll your spouse or child in the non-Medicare coverage (an HMO plan).