Enrolling in the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System (MPSERS) Medicare plan
Learn how to enroll and how to know if you're eligible for Medicare.
How to enroll
All new enrollment or plan changes can be completed online using miAccount on the Office of Retirement Services (ORS) website.
You can also submit an Insurance Enrollment/Change Request form directly to the ORS.
Have questions specific to enrollment?
- Visit the ORS website to learn more about enrollment
- Contact the ORS at 517.284.4400 (TTY 711) in the Lansing area or toll-free at 800.381.5111 (TTY 711).
What to expect when you enroll
- Your Priority Health coverage begins the first of the SECOND full month after you submit your enrollment request and all required proofs to the ORS.
Example: If you submit your enrollment request mid-May, coverage begins August 1.
- The ORS will make the enrollment changes in their system, and forward your enrollment request to Priority Health so that we can get you signed up. Once your enrollment is processed, Priority Health will mail new member ID cards and member materials to your home.
- You can enroll at any time during the year.
- Your dental coverage and vision coverage will not change if you enroll in Priority Health or switch medical coverage.
- Your monthly premium deduction from your pension is the same whether you choose Priority Health or Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Eligibility & enrollment
For most people, Medicare begins at age 65 or after 24 months on Social Security disability.
Here's what to expect in the months leading up to when you turn 65:
- A few months before your birthday, you need to contact Social Security to elect Parts A and B coverage.
- You'll receive your red, white & blue card with your Medicare claim number. Keep this card in a safe place.
- We'll call or send you a letter in the mail asking for your Medicare information for enrollment in our plan. Watch for this letter! If we don't receive this information from you before the first of the month in which you turn 65, we won't be able to enroll you in the Medicare plan and you may lose your coverage.
- If you have not been contacted to enroll in the Medicare plan, call us at 888.389.6648, option 3 (TTY 711).
Here's what to expect if you become disabled:
- If you become eligible for Medicare before age 65 due to disability, contact the ORS and Priority Health as soon as possible to provide us with your Medicare information.
If you're eligible for Medicare, but your spouse or children are not, don't worry. We can still cover everyone on your plan. We'll enroll you in a Priority Health Medicare Advantage plan. We'll enroll your spouse or child in the non-Medicare coverage (an HMO plan). Learn more about dependent eligibility rules.
Priority Health has HMO-POS and PPO plans with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Priority Health Medicare depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Call 844.403.0847 (TTY users call 711) for more information.H2320_NCMS400040062316Q_C 09132022