Modifiers 54 and 55, co-management of surgery/post-op care
Modifier 54: Surgical care services only
Priority Health global periods are modeled after Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) global periods.
When a physician performs only surgical services for a member, the appropriate surgical CPT codes should be reported along with modifier 54. Modifier 54 indicates that only the surgical component of the global package will be performed by this provider.
- Report modifier 54 when it is known that post-operative care will be performed by or transferred to another health care provider.
- Do not bill the global surgical code when post-operative care is provided by another health care provider.
- We review historical data prior to reimbursing claims submitted with modifiers 54 and 55. If an unmodified surgical code is reported and global payment made, claims submitted with a 54 or 55 will be denied as inclusive or redundant to the global surgical payment.
- Use modifier 54 when the CPT code has a global surgical period (10 or 90 days); if there is no global period, don't append this modifier.
- ER and urgent care providers, review for use with global package CPT codes as it is unlikely that you provided the preoperative and/or postoperative portions. ER claims without modifier 54 will require supporting documentation to show that a global (10 or 90 day) service was provided.
Modifier 55: Post-operative services only
When a physician provides and/or co-manages post-operative care for a member, report the appropriate surgical CPT code along with modifier 55. Modifier 55 indicates that only post-operative services of the global surgical package were rendered by this provider.
- Reimbursement will be made based on the dates that post-operative care was rendered. The post-operative period begins the day after surgery.
- Enter the date of surgery as the date of service in box 24.
- Report the post-op care date span (the "begin" date and "end" date of post-op care) in the notes section of the claim, or it may be denied due to insufficient information.
- Do not use this modifier when there is no global surgical period (10 or 90 days) associated with the CPT code.
- Anesthesia modifiers
- AT: Active treatment
- GA and GY: Medicare non-coverage notification
- GN, GO & GP: Therapy type
- UD and UA: Treated and released or admitted/transferred (Medicaid only)
- XE, XS, XP, XU: Distinct services
- 22: Unusual procedural services
- 25: Significant service separate from E&M service
- 26 and TC: Professional and technical components
- 33: Preventive service
- 50 & 51: Bilateral and multiple procedures
- 52: Reduced services
- 53: Discontinued procedure
- 54 & 55: Surgical care and post-op care
- 56: Pre-operative management only
- 59: Distinct procedural service
- 62: Two surgeons
- 73 & 74: Discontinued outpatient surgery
- 76 & 77: Repeated procedures, same day
- 78: Unplanned return to operating room
- 80, 81, 82: Assistant at surgery