Modifiers 26 and TC, professional or technical component only
Certain procedures and services have both a professional and a technical component.
- Use modifier 26 when only the professional (physician) component is being billed.
- Use modifier TC when only the technical component is being billed.
Facility outpatient radiology/laboratory claims
In 2016, Priority Health will accept the TC modifier from facilities choosing to report the technical component for services where the professional component is performed by another entity. This modifier should be placed in the next available modifier field, and should not replace any existing modifier hierarchy direction.
Example of using modifers 26 and TC
CPT code 95811, Polysomnography, is performed at a Certified Sleep Center. A physician not associated with the sleep center interprets the findings.
- Both providers report on HCFA 1500 forms.
- The physician reports the polysomnography interpretation as 95811-26, the professional component.
- The sleep center reports 95811-TC, the technical component.
- Anesthesia modifiers
- AT: Active treatment
- GA and GY: Medicare non-coverage notification
- GN, GO & GP: Therapy type
- UD and UA: Treated and released or admitted/transferred (Medicaid only)
- XE, XS, XP, XU: Distinct services
- 22: Unusual procedural services
- 25: Significant service separate from E&M service
- 26 and TC: Professional and technical components
- 33: Preventive service
- 50 & 51: Bilateral and multiple procedures
- 52: Reduced services
- 53: Discontinued procedure
- 54 & 55: Surgical care and post-op care
- 56: Pre-operative management only
- 59: Distinct procedural service
- 62: Two surgeons
- 73 & 74: Discontinued outpatient surgery
- 76 & 77: Repeated procedures, same day
- 78: Unplanned return to operating room
- 80, 81, 82: Assistant at surgery