Use of an operating microscope during microsurgery provides magnification to improve sight into the anatomy present leading to better outcomes for the patient.
Operating microscope billing
- When microsurgical techniques require the use of an operating microscope during a surgical session
- When this service is NOT considered a bundled component
- By using CPT code 69990 in addition to the primary CPT code for the surgery
- When microsurgical techniques and microdissection are documented in the operative notes
- To report an operating microscope that was used solely to view the visual field