Well-child visits: Ages 13-17 years
Teens need one doctor visit each year. Some doctors may be willing to combine this visit with a sports physical exam if needed.
Michigan residents 12 and older are eligible. We recommend that your teen gets a vaccine to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Schedule your child’s vaccine based on the county you live in.
- You pay $0. The vaccine, including the first and second dose, is covered. See details.
Body changes and BMI: What’s your teen’s number?
By age 13, BMI screenings can reveal more than your teen’s body fat. They can also assess their risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and some cancers. That’s why it’s important your doctor keep seeing your teen for well-child visits—even if they’re starting to seem less like children.
Managing feelings of anxiety, nervousness, and stress
It's normal for your teen to have feelings of anxiety, nervousness, and stress from time to time. Here are some ways to help them manage those feelings:
- Remind your teen that a balanced life is a healthy life: ensure they’re getting plenty of sleep and exercise while managing a healthy diet.
- Thinking positive can go a long way during times of uncertainty. Help your teen set positive goals and develop a plan to help them achieve more.
- Tell them about the long-lasting negative effects of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco.
- Talk and listen to your teen. Reassure them that they’re not alone. Encourage them to talk with people who care, such as family and friends, when they’re feeling down.
Talk to their doctor if your teen’s feelings of anxiety or depression aren’t manageable or don’t appear to get better.
Are your teen's immunizations up to date?
Check out our Preventive Health Care Guidelines or ask their doctor.
Where can I find more information?
Please reference the Member Handbook and Certificate of Coverage for more detailed information.
- Medicaid Certificate of Coverage and Member Handbook
- Healthy Michigan Plan Certificate of Coverage and Member Handbook
Have a question? We're here to help.
Contact Customer Service:
888.975.8102 (TTY 711)
Monday - Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. - noon