Vision care, Medicaid/Healthy Michigan Plan patients
Priority Health reimburses for the services below according to the Michigan Medicaid fee schedule for vision services.
One exam is covered every 24 months to determine the need and proper prescription for corrective lenses.
Vision therapy (orthotic service) is covered for limited clinical conditions.
New lenses and frames
One pair of single vision, multi-focal or cataract lenses and frames is covered every 24 months and one day. Ophthalmic lenses include standard crown glass or CR 39 plastic lenses in all sizes and powers.
Covered lenses include:
- Standard single vision
- Standard bifocal (Flattop 25 and 28, round 22mm)
- Standard trifocals (CV 7/25 and 7/28)
When patients choose more expensive frames and lenses
Patients must pay the difference between the plan's allowed amount and the cost of frames and lenses when purchasing more expensive ophthalmic frames and or lenses.
Repair of lenses and frames
Repairs are covered. Minor adjustments/insertion of screws are not considered repairs.
Replacement lenses and frames
Replacement of frames/lenses due to loss or breakage (if they cannot be repaired) is covered once every 12 months for adults 21 and older, and twice for those under 21.
Replacement glasses must be an identical replacement of the previously issued glasses unless they are no longer available.
Medically necessary replacement lenses are a covered benefit if there has been a significant change in the member's vision.
Services requiring prior authorization
- Services other than the basic vision benefit must be prior authorized.
- Two pair of glasses, one for reading and one for distance tasks, are a benefit only if prior authorized and only if the patient's physical condition does not allow bifocal use or if the patient, after a reasonable time, clearly demonstrates an inability to adjust to bifocals.
- Non-prescription ophthalmic lenses and frames
- Special independent diagnostic tests or treatment procedures
- Progressive lenses
- Oversized lenses and no line lenses
Vision service codes
||New patient eye exam, $2.00 copayment applies for age 21 or older
||Established patient eye exam, $2.00 copayment applies for age 21 or older
||Lenses, single vision
|92370 or 92371
||Repair. Minor adjustments/insertion of screws are not considered repairs.