Medicare Part D drug coverage
Original Medicare doesn't include prescription drug coverage. Neither do Medigap (Medicare Supplement insurance) plans. You have Medicare Part D prescription coverage if you are enrolled in:
- An MAPD (Medicare Advantage + prescription drug) plan, or
- A plan that only covers Medicare Part D
What Medicare Part D pays for
- Prescription drugs that you get from a pharmacy, that you take on your own, that are on your plan's approved drug list (formulary) or are not on the formulary but an exception is granted.
- Some vaccines other than the ones mentioned under Part B, above. When vaccines are covered by Part D, they are listed in your plan's approved drug list (formulary).
- Some diabetes supplies: Part D covers insulin, syringes, needles, alcohol swabs and gauze.